Saturday, May 20, 2006

Good Day, Sort Of

The kid, pregnant, the son-in-law & his father, Mrs. coldH2O, & I went fishing today. I caught 5 of these:

but only landed four. The fifth I sort of jiggled off. These guys are not legal yet, not until later in June, once they clearly have finished spawning. The son-in-law caught five, the kid one, & Mrs. coldH20 caught one. The son-in-law's father was shut out. The son-in-law was the largemouth bass champ today, for landing all five of his fish. There were no bluegills caught or sighted. It was tough fishing, initially it started out rainy, but then became sunny. The wind was way too brisk for my liking. But we had a great day as a family, plus a couple in the oven. We topped the day off by having dinner at the Clam Lake Lodge, a great eating place in the middle of nowhere. I had a great piece of fresh fish. The son-in-law's father, a wine aficianado, chose a great red for a pre-dinner glass & a fruity Reisling for our fish. The folks at the lodge lit a votive candle for me & gave me my desert, a sweet, but wonderfully understated creme brulee as a birthday present. On the way home we saw plenty of these:

on the side & in the middle of the road.

We also saw a big old one of these:

This guy you should remember was a visitor in my yard several days ago. The guy we saw today was a big boar out looking for love. I hope he finds it.

I got a funny birthday email from my sister Karen & a call from Les & Tara, two great baristas at the coffee shop where great ideas are sometimes discussed. I really appreciated that call. While it was a great day, sort of, these are hard times. Later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we had a great day , thanks for taking us out even though it was YOUR birthday!

Spadoman said...

Happy birthday, belated. Glad you had a good day with your family.

coldH2O said...

Thank A+2 & Spadoman, I appreciate it.