Saturday, June 10, 2006

Oh, Hell

First, we have three suicides.
Three detainees at Guantanamo Bay apparently committed suicide amid protests of the U.S. military prison by inmates, the Defense Department said Saturday. They were the first reported deaths at the detention center for suspected terrorists.
Second, we have the debacle in progress in Afganistan. This is something that is clearly the product of Bu$hCo's war of choice in Iraq. & it's truly sad.
A large springtime offensive by Taliban fighters has turned into the strongest show of force by the insurgents since American forces chased the Taliban from power in late 2001, and Afghan and foreign officials and local villagers blame a lack of United States-led coalition forces on the ground for the resurgence.
Third, we see that the pre-war planning was completely stupid. Bu$hCo's having a "two-day strategy session" three years into the war. WTF?
Three years of past efforts to accomplish those goals have largely failed. Billions of dollars have been spent on both electricity and security, yet residents of Baghdad get only five to eight hours of power a day, and the American ambassador acknowledged on Friday that the city is "more insecure now than it was a few months ago."
Now, in my world, reality based as it is, so real, in fact, that I wish it wasn't, given the recent vee-hickle blues, the moron Bu$hCo would be out, three strikes out. But in the world of the neo-cons, the God-on-my-side crowd, Bu$hCo keeps getting do-overs. I could have used these in my youth, I wasn't much of a ballplayer. Oh, & why am I posting this in the middle of a Saturday afternoon? My lawn tractor is hooked up to the battery charger. This has not been a week for me & the machines powered by the internal combustion engine. & one last thing, I'm building up my soccer cred by watching Ivory Coast & Argentina in the World Cup.

No comments: