Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tuli Kupferberg, R.I.P.

I bought a couple of albums by The Fugs at a Duluth, MN, music store in 1967. I was on a last trip with my Explorer Post. We were out to spend all of our treasury, since there was no one to follow us. We left the day after our high school graduation. Boy were we hungover, well, most of us were. When I played the records a couple of weeks later, I was enthralled with high minded lyrics like "Do you like boobs alot? Yeah, I like boobs a lot." & "Kill, kill, kill for peace." What an eye opener for a kid from northern Wisco. Oh, & the clerk I bought the records from claimed Bob Dylan as a high school classmate. Obit here. Here's what's on The Fugs page if you did the bad thing & didn't click through. Tsk, tsk.
Tuli Kupferberg, Poet, Great Songwriter, Spreader of Good Cheer, Celebrator of Personal Freedom, Great Story-Teller, Good Father and Husband, Lover of Beauty and Creativity— Marvelous Tuli, American Genius, has passed away in the hospital. The oi is oi-ing in the Great Oi!



No comments: